Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I'll Take Romance

"Rob," I told my 19 year old son, "I just did something I haven't done in 29 years and eleven months. Without missing a beat Rob declared, "you went on a date." I asked the kids if they were okay with this. They just looked at me, amused. Their expressions were clear: it's about time.
"After all," said 16 year old Lucey, "we're all grown up now."
So, maybe I waited longer than I should have, thinking my kids weren't ready. Heck with that, I wasn't ready. Some people are good at multi-tasking. I just couldn't see raising 5 children and dating. Something wrong with that picture, I thought.
But still, it wasn't wasted time. I got into reading the Bible and praying and meditating, got much closer to the Lord, so much so that I've learned to praise Him in every situation, and be grateful for all His blessings.
Now, in the back of my mind there's this mental countdown to next August when Lucey, at 16, goes off to college and I'm all alone with the cats. Most days, I come home to an empty house now, anyway, as my two remaining teenagers are busy with their own lives.
Unfortunately, that first date turned into a stalker. I actually had to call the police, change my phone number and block him from my email. And it was my own fault; the Lord had said "no" quite clearly. The next time, I asked Him first. Much better approach.
I'm going on a second date next week, with someone of whom the Lord approves. More later.

1 comment:

Dionna said...

Nerve-wracking I'm sure. Just take your time and let God lead your heart.