Sunday, March 15, 2009

To The Wedding


Elizabeth, my oldest child, and her fiancee, John, are wonderful organizers. They both worked hard and saved up to buy a co-op apartment in a nice section of Queens. Next, they saved up to pay for their wedding. They've been renovating the apartment and it looks lovely. In two weeks, they will marry, in a civil ceremony attended by 60 of their closest family and friends.

Still, my heart aches for this lovely young woman who refuses to consider or even acknowledge the wisdom of establishing any kind of relationship with Jesus Christ.

When she was fifteen years old, she announced she was moving in with her father down in Long Island. She no longer wished to attend church, and told me she was tired of the whole thing. In living with her father, she seemed to take on his values, those of the world.

She saw nothing wrong with moving in with her boyfriend and having sex outside of marriage. After all, her father was having an affair, so it must be all right.

"I'm not hurting anybody," was her defense.

Then, when she and John were ready to get married, she asked about our traditions.

"Getting married before a priest, in a Roman Catholic church," I answered.

"I'll ask Grandma," she said, shortly.

"Oh, we're Catholics, so it is our tradition to marry in a church ceremony, before a priest," Grandma told her.

Elizabeth didn't like those answers, so she ignored them.

"We're going to have an "officient," she told us.

Always efficient, she typed up a detailed list of what would happen during the civil ceremony.

The officient would use words like "sacred vows," and we their friends and family would form a "community of love," to support them. They would ensure the longevity of their marriage through human endeavor, ignoring the 70% divorce rate of couples who live together before marriage.

Maggie would be allowed to recite "Love is patient," from Corinthians, but only verses 4-8, which do not mention God.

Grandma would be allowed to sing the refrain from a nuptial blessing, but not permitted to ask others to join in, lest they feel uncomfortable at the mere mention of the Almighty.

We are all praying hard for Elizabeth and John, that their hearts may be opened to the Lord.

Not hurting anyone?

This is my firstborn; ever since I first held her in my arms, I have been thanking the Lord for her existence.

She is my joy, the light of my life, my heart.

And it is breaking, to know the burden she carries, blinded by pride, anger and hurt.

I would do anything to lift that burden from her, but she will not hear of it.

She refuses the Lord, and insists she can do everything on her own.

God, help her.

Help them.

Amen.

No comments: