Tuesday, August 28, 2007

No Place Like Home



People sometimes ask where I get these pictures from. The nicely flattering implication is I find them online, I guess. Not being very "techno," I just point the digital and shoot. All the beautiful children on here are mine. This is Lucey up in the apple tree, shaking down a bountiful harvest. We are putting up tons of fresh, tart, organic applesauce this year; makes it hard to even think of eating the bland stuff you find in stores. God is good; when you live in the country, you really get spoiled.
Just heard from Joe's new placement. They have a spot for him. Now, how do I tell my handsome, sweet, funny, charming little boy he's going off to boarding school? I know he has to go. I can't meet his needs any more, the other kids are gone most of the day, and Joe's not happy being the only child at home. Plus, as a single mom, I really have to work. He had a great time at respite camp this summer, hanging out with other teenage boys at about his level; absolutely loved every minute of camp and beamed when we asked how he liked it.
We get to visit him on weekends; but they say he shouldn't come home except for holidays. I keep telling myself he's only going to be two hours away, but the truth is, it's a whole different world. I think he can come back next summer. I wish he didn't have to go. How can anyone else possibly love him like we do?

No comments: